I am excited to have wrapped up the Meadow Mystery Quilt-A-Long while sharpening both my FMQ and HMQ skills. The entire QAL, sponsored by Cheryl at Meadow Mist Design was a great time. The pace was perfect for me as a full time working Mom (I know you can relate!). And let me mention it was really fun to anticipate each month’s blocks rather than know what was coming. I simply loved the mystery component of it. The QAL started back in July (see my post where I talked about color inspiration and getting started – Meadow Mystery Quilt-along).
This was the first time I made a quilt from fabric purchased entirely online. It came together very nicely considering I selected the colors based on very small thumbnail pics. The fabrics chosen were:
- Edyta’s Essentials Batiks, Lemon Bliss
- Sticks & Stones Batiks, Ivy Rust by Laundry Basket Quilts for Moda
- The Reclaimed West, Rock Grey by Timeless Treasures
- Sound of the Woods 2, Branches Glacier Metallic by Kathrine Lovell for Robert Kaufman
- Whispers Muslin Mates, Take Flight Feather by Studio M for Moda
- Urban Scandinavian, Black and White Floral by Kirstyn Cogan for P&B Textiles
- Binding: Thicket – Dashes Black Natural by Gingiber for Moda Fabrics
For the quilting, I did a free hand orange peel for the border rectangles, a curved bird line for the light gray fabric (which my son called out as looking like clouds) and a free hand sets of florals for the black rectangles in the main squares of the quilt and the black half triangle blocks in the corners. I also free hand quilted winter trees and limbs throughout the lighter fabrics.
I used a Tonga Batiks 106′ wide Garden Confetti Stones for the backing which subtly pops the quilting silhouettes.
The FMQ was so fun and engaging once I got the swing of it. I look forward to more FMQ, though I am humbled by how time consuming it is. If I had more time, there were many more spots to fill in with fun FMQ.
I love hand made labels. I used the Lemon Bliss batik, and practiced “Take Flight” with my darning foot. It didn’t look so good. So Plan B, a simple hand embroidered version which I then sewed in as I added the binding. Blends in perfectly.
The quilt finished at 72 x 72 with the borders. I look forward to next year’s Mystery Quilt. I’m delighted with how this quilt came out!